Staff members within the Runwood Homes Group Complete The Dementia Interpreter Training Course
Several staff members within the Runwood Homes team had the wonderful opportunity to take part in the Dementia Interpreter Train the Trainers Course on the 9th and 10th September by the ECC.
The Dementia Interpreters course aims to further support people in recognising and more effectively communicating with those living with dementia. The course will enhance staff’s understanding of the ‘language of dementia’.
The six staff that have taken the course so far, including all three from the Dementia and Wellbeing Team, will now be able to offer staff and families across the Group access to the dementia dictionary and online forum; a great platform for understanding the language of dementia.
The course aims to help:
- Identify a range of different communication methods that may be used by someone living with dementia.
- Explain how dementia may impact upon how somebody may communicate.
- Be aware of the emotions that someone living with dementia may experience should barriers to communication not be identified and managed.
- Understand how to investigate and interpret behaviours.
- Be aware of the dementia dictionary and online forum and how to progress through the different levels of the Dementia Interpreter pathway.
Once the course is completed, staff can become ‘registered Dementia Interpreters’, working together with the global society of Dementia Interpreters through the ‘Interpreter Forum’ to translate the language of dementia and then freely present this to the world through the superb Dementia Dictionary www.dementiainterpreter.com.
Here is the team very much enjoying taking part in the course!
Share this page:
Please click below to use our online enquiry form: